12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

lock up switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:47 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question lock up switch

whats the best lockup switch for my 12v? when pulling my 20k gooseneck no matter how i drive it always shifts at 45 and SMOKES terrible id like for it to shift at 50 or 55 while hauling any ideas?

Old 11-14-2013, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 332 Likes on 316 Posts

I had a bd torque lock on my rig until it went out. Now I have two separate switches wired in, one for 3/4, and the other one is the lockup switch.

But why does your rig smoke bad? I'd get that dealt with first.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:22 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

It doesn't sound like you want a lockup switch, it sounds like you want a switch that will keep it from locking. You have no signature details and I have no idea what you have for a transmission or what's been done to your engine, so I have to assume it's stock. I doubt a stock 12V will pull 20K, but if you're doing it with a stock transmission, this complaint is soon to be the least of your issues.
Regardless, if it insists on locking at 45mph even under that load, it sounds to me like something is out of adjustment with your TPS. Either that, or someone deleted the TPS and the shift is locked at 45 by whatever gizmo is plugged in instead. Or it's a built transmission that can take the lockup under that load, but I'd think if you had a tranny that built you'd know and would have said something about it.
It will smoke more under load when the TC locks, because the rpms are low so it's fueling like crazy to make up for it. The more you have your pump modded for more fuel, the more smoke this is going to make- concurrently, the faster it's going to make the boost to pull you out of it.

You should really fill in your sig so we know what we're dealing with.

Last edited by JBearSVT; 11-14-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like stated above, you need to fill us in with more info.

But if you're trying to keep out of lock-up until later, you can wire up a lock-up switch, but instead of grounding the wire, add power to it and it will keep it from locking up. Then when you get to 50-55 mph, you can turn the switch off allowing the transmission to lock-up and funtion properly.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by JBearSVT
It doesn't sound like you want a lockup switch, it sounds like you want a switch that will keep it from locking. You have no signature details and I have no idea what you have for a transmission or what's been done to your engine, so I have to assume it's stock. I doubt a stock 12V will pull 20K, but if you're doing it with a stock transmission, this complaint is soon to be the least of your issues.
Regardless, if it insists on locking at 45mph even under that load, it sounds to me like something is out of adjustment with your TPS. Either that, or someone deleted the TPS and the shift is locked at 45 by whatever gizmo is plugged in instead. Or it's a built transmission that can take the lockup under that load, but I'd think if you had a tranny that built you'd know and would have said something about it.
It will smoke more under load when the TC locks, because the rpms are low so it's fueling like crazy to make up for it. The more you have your pump modded for more fuel, the more smoke this is going to make- concurrently, the faster it's going to make the boost to pull you out of it.

You should really fill in your sig so we know what we're dealing with.
and the higher your egts will be while making all that smoke ..... smoke is unburnt fuel and will cause higher cylinder temperature as well ..... tell us your trucks history as we can help better , knowing mods makes for easier diagnosis

Old 11-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Exactly. I'm sure 95% of this story is still waiting to be told, before we can have any clue how to help.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:47 PM
Diesel Fan

sorry its taking so long to respond but I have 4k gsk DAP 7x10 injectors #5 plate slid all the way forward with a 62/65 s300 turbo and when it locks up a 45 it just rolls out prespool smoke and the turbo wont build any boost until it gets up to about 50 mph then the smoke clears I want to move it where it locks up at 50 instead of 45

Old 06-15-2014, 12:50 PM
Diesel Fan

and the tranny has a precision triple disk converter and a transgo shift kit with 1 whole drilled

Old 06-15-2014, 03:39 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

You need to dajust pre-boost smoke screw .. the TC isnt gonna help the fact that your pouring in too much fuel too soon .. Need to dajust your AFC settings to adjust for the smoke issue

Old 06-15-2014, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 332 Likes on 316 Posts

The number 5 plate is A little more aggressive than a 10 plate. Plus it's full forward. I would back off the plate some and see If that helps.

Quick Reply: lock up switch