12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

cummins camper edition??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 12:08 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cummins camper edition??

i got a trade offer for my 1998 6.5 Td for a 1996 cummins 4x4 automatic with the camper edition. i have never heard of this and cant find anything online about info on this edition. he said it has a heavy duty front end and added leaf spring. also he said it had the HD tranny. how heavy duty is this transmission? cause im not looking into trading my most reliable truck for a truck that may have transmission problems soon if i do a little bit of performance work. im not wanting to do a transmission upgrade anytime soon

Old 10-02-2013, 08:57 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never heard of such a model either... my guess would be it MIGHT be the Sport edition, along with other aftermarket upgrades and using a name they came up with on their own.

If I had an offer like that brought to me, I'd firmly request to see the window sticker, ask for a vehicle build sheet along with thoroughly checking over the truck like one should do with any vehicle they are considering to purchase.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

I agree .... it may just have overloads on it ... is it 4x4 ? is it lifted ??? give us more info please .... ext cab ?

Old 10-03-2013, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 332 Likes on 316 Posts

I've never heard of that, it may be a sport edition as others have said.
You should ask the seller for more info on the truck.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I would trade that 6.5 in a heart beat as long as the cummins isnt a ranchy turd but there isnt a "camper special" in the cummins world technically they are all camper specials since they were purpose built towing trucks. I have however seen cummins trucks that were made into class b RV's and those are awesome.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Diesel Fan

It's an extended cab long bed 4x4. Looks lifted but isn't. But automatic Cummins worry me big time. I don't want it parked more than driven.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brandon1481
It's an extended cab long bed 4x4. Looks lifted but isn't. But automatic Cummins worry me big time. I don't want it parked more than driven.
That's all the information you were told about the truck? We're going to need more than that to give you any sort of help.

There is nothing to worry about from a Cummins auto. The factory transmission can not handle much more power than factory power levels. If you are aware of this, and treat your truck with care it will not be a problem. If you are negligent to the fact that the factory auto transmission can't take much more power, then you'll be parked for a while, or at least feel like it should be parked.

Any other aftermarket built up auto will last a long time if you know where to draw the line depending on what internal parts are used.

Both standards and automatics can fail. The driver of the vehicle is what usually determines how long a transmission lasts.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AMS247
Both standards and automatics can fail. The driver of the vehicle is what usually determines how long a transmission lasts.
Agreed!! So very much agreed!!

Old 10-04-2013, 08:22 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by AMS247
That's all the information you were told about the truck? We're going to need more than that to give you any sort of help.

There is nothing to worry about from a Cummins auto. The factory transmission can not handle much more power than factory power levels. If you are aware of this, and treat your truck with care it will not be a problem. If you are negligent to the fact that the factory auto transmission can't take much more power, then you'll be parked for a while, or at least feel like it should be parked.

Any other aftermarket built up auto will last a long time if you know where to draw the line depending on what internal parts are used.

the main issue with the automatics is the torque converter ... I did mine and I beat the snot out of mine regularly... just need to kame sure you have a good Valve Body that is set up for your performance or towing needs ... most of the parts are pretty good ...

If you want to play you have to pay ... this goes for any automatic transmission and or manual trans also .... like a clutch for towing and ... like the 5th gear fix on a 4500 ... etc..

Old 10-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Diesel Fan

Here's what I got in for wise. 226k. Rebuilt tranny. Torque converter lockup switch. Slight pump work. Cold air intake. #0 fuel plate. Gutted afc. Pillar gauges. Rear Detroit locker. Power/heated tow mirrors. Leaks oil out of pushed cover. And leaky steering box.

Quick Reply: cummins camper edition??