12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Compound Turbo Heating up?

Old 08-18-2013, 01:37 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Compound Turbo Heating up?

Hey BOMB squad! Been snooping around looking for the best clues to fix my heating issues. Just installed a set of ATS twins 3000/5000, Shied Street cam, DFI 5x0.014 SAC injectors, ATS intake.... All with the Stock lift pump, Star wheel adjusted and no fuel plate.... Timing is still at the stock setting.

Off idle the truck is bit laggy and stumbles, then at 2000 rpm on up its Hellfire...
Truck is smoking pretty good under 2000rpm and on the highway if you lug it at all the EGT's skyrocket.... ( No boost = heat increase, With Boost EGT's drop right away...)

I'm guessing Timing/fuel delivery issues... I've got a 4K GSK kit to install and am curious about DV's, over flow valves and if anyone likes the adjustable Timing gear for the pump?

Thanks! Blair

Old 08-20-2013, 05:48 PM
Diesel Fan
Default ATS suggests bumping the timing up

ATS suggests bumping the timing up.... Figured it would be along that line. 19 or 20 deg sound like a fair start?... No Fire rings just the 60# springs and new ARP studs...

Thanks Blair

Old 08-20-2013, 07:16 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

well you are going to eat an injection pump very soon by starving it for fuel. that is your first issue. second you are absolutely going to have hot egt while not under boost. you have all the fuel and no air. what did you expect? cant have your cake and eat it 2. more fuel = more heat especially when there is not enough air cooling things down. tuning will help but you will have to learn to drive around this.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:34 PM
Diesel Fan
Default Ok, Starving the pump ...

Great a bit of outside expertise.... I'm greatful for someone giving tips but not from behind the cash register

I'd been planning on a fuel pump but not first off.... Is that the suggestion? Airdog/FASS pump in line with the stock lift pump feeding the P-Pump? Then go for the DV Valves? I'm looking for the balance to the turbos from Air/Fuel standpoint I guess... I tried to build on the moderate street truck idea thus far (400-500 hp as a goal). When I had the truck in pieces I decided to keep the P-Pump side for an after project due to my complete ignorance in what I can fudge up rooting in there! I'm guessing pump timing, fuel supply will go hand in hand.

Like you have alluded, I may have to accept its not going to run like a stocker anymore either... just expected to get the gains with out the change in hwy driving... Running in Drive rather than OD. I've just put 250miles on since I pulled it from the garage so we're early into the new running trim.

Cheers and thanks Turbo2332!

Last edited by loucojegue; 08-21-2013 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-22-2013, 05:44 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

you should definitely put a good electric lift pump on it
buy a handfull of fuel plates or it will never have street manners (a plate is a tuning tool)
put timing in the 18* range a little more with headstuds
starwheel will probable end up being close to full forward to clean up the off idle
at this point i wouldnt touch your DV's. you have plenty of injector and your truck has 181 valves already. they move quite a bit of fuel. and for the hp you are after need not be changed. the truck will be hotter and smokier with different ones.

put a #6 fuel plate in there and see what that does. that my favorite plate. they have always done me good.

The following users liked this post:
loucojegue (08-26-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 08:07 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For sure get a airdog or fass, will help a ton, also bump timing to around 16-18 depending if u have studs or not, check for boost leaks on intercooler piping and exhaust leaks around manifold and downpipe to primary, also check your pre-boost screw, adjust it until your spool up is good or until you cant go out any farther. After that adjust your starwheel until you have a haze comming out at WOT from your tailpipe. A plate can be helpful after u dial in the afc, at that point tho you might as well start at a #0 or #100 plate and make a custom plate to keep ur egts in check at higher rpms. Check on CompD as well as Cumminsforum and read the tech articles, there is a lot of good info in there

Old 08-25-2013, 02:48 AM
Diesel Fan

Thanks Guys, Just ordered some Timing tools from PDP. I've got to get the 4k gsk in as well. the ARP head studs, and will definetely look for leaks. I blew my stock intercooler boots on the 2nd trip out after the turbos were in... That was exciting NOT!

I bought the truck in semi-modified form (Prior owner said there was no fuel plate and the injectors were upsized 215's)... that said I'm a P-Pump virgin... I tore everything else apart but left that black box as of yet untouched.

Fuel pump or lift pump... go for a 150 or a 165gph unit? They about the same for noise? FASS/RAPTOR/AirDog?

The tuning details and fine adjustments are going to make a change for sure. I'll utube my way through them. I'm a former Small block ford guy so the tuning of a cummins is new to me. The forums are a great help. Been reading but never posting so far.

Thanks for some starting points, Appreciate it a bunch! Blair

Last edited by loucojegue; 08-25-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:00 AM
Diesel Fan

Sounds like a plan!!! I cant comment on the lift pumps so you'll have to research that more...

Old 08-25-2013, 01:15 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

bump your timing to 20ish, before you spend your money on a lift pump check your fuel pressure. with clean fuel filters and a good overflow valve the stock lift pump moves some fuel and are very reliable.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Diesel Fan

Stock lift pumps are good till right around 400hp, he has the air for more than than. Its also good measure so he doesnt starve his injection pump and burn it up

The following users liked this post:
loucojegue (08-26-2013)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Compound Turbo Heating up?