12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

47re wont downshift to 1st

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 08:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 47re wont downshift to 1st

my 47re doesn't want to downshift to 1st when coming to a stop and will only downshift to 3rd. When I start to take off it will kick down to 2nd and if I give it a little punch, it will kick down to 1st. I can come to a complete stop pop it in neutral, back to drive, and then it will start in 1st, so I don't think it is in limp mode. Any ideas? Gov pressure and transducer are only 6 months old. Took it to autozone and no codes came up. I plan on taking it to a transmission shop to have codes read at some point this week.

This is my 1st post on this forum and any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

I would pull your pan and check your fluid and filter .... make sure the filter hasnt come loose from the body ...

could be a broken spring in the body or metal contamination

Old 05-28-2013, 09:40 PM

I checked fluid level and all was good. I'll check the valve body for broken springs...hope there is none, this is a 6 month old valve body from RevMax. Is there a good way to clean a valve body to get out any contamination?

Old 05-29-2013, 09:27 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

Take everything apart and examine closely .... look for scaring int the body and on the pistons ... if nothing else .... start checking ur pressures .... something is failing to give the signal some where ... hope it easy to fix ....

Old 05-29-2013, 10:11 AM

Okay. I dropped it off at a local transmission shop today. I was talking to the guy about it and he said it wouldn't have anything to do with governor pressure because if it was, it would be stuck in one gear...I don't think thats true! He also said "it sounds like something is coming apart." So I'm not too hopeful with this shop, i'll probably get a call saying it needs a rebuild.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Thaks for your help!

Last edited by cummins937; 05-29-2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-29-2013, 03:46 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by cummins937
Okay. I dropped it off at a local transmission shop today. I was talking to the guy about it and he said it wouldn't have anything to do with governor pressure because if it was, it would be stuck in one gear...I don't think thats true! He also said "it sounds like something is coming apart." So I'm not too hopeful with this shop, i'll probably get a call saying it needs a rebuild.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Thaks for your help!
You might want to try a different trans shop

Old 05-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree

Last edited by chad984; 05-29-2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: wong message
Old 05-29-2013, 04:08 PM

Well, the trans shop scanned for codes and the only one that came up was TPS high voltage. I guess I'll replace it tomorrow, but I doubt its the problem. I unplugged the TPS sensor, went around the block, and the problem continued....just without overdrive. The trans shop thinks its the valve body, so I called Revmax since it has a 2 year warranty. The tech at revmax said it had to be gov pressure, so I hooked up the psi gauge and checked it the old fashioned way. It read 0 psi at idle in D and going around the block it read about 2 psi per MPH, so gov pressure is good. I called revmax back and had they closed 5 min. before I called. I'll try back tomorrow.

Anyone know where I can find a manual or anything for assembly of these valve bodies in case I decide to tear it down and clean it?

Thanks!

Old 05-31-2013, 08:43 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Old 05-31-2013, 12:28 PM

Thanks. Well, I made the drive to my closest diesel shop and paid them $20 to road test it for me. The computer is reading 0 psi gov pressure in D while idling when you first start the truck. When you drive it and go thorough the gears then come to a stop in D, the pressure is not coming back down to 0 psi. Looks like I have a faulty transducer. I just replaced the solenoid and transducer back in november and not looking forward to doing it again. The guy who did my road test said he has a 12 valve that he's put 200k on and hes replaced the transducer 6 times.

He said it also felt like my tv cable was a little off. I told him I adjusted it and he asked if I used a pressure gauge to dial it in? I told him I had never heard using a pressure gauge. He said after I fix the transducer to bring the truck back and he can dial the tv cable in with a psi gauge. Anyone heard of that?

Quick Reply: 47re wont downshift to 1st