12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

few issues with my new 12v

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default few issues with my new 12v

I just picked up my first diesel. Seemed like a good deal, 173k,needs a little TLC, no rot, for $4000. Was told by seller that it has performance converter and a #10 fuel plate. Drove it home a little over 100 miles with a plow in the back, about 70mph down the highway.

I have searched and searched to find an answer but cant quite find identical symptoms. Truck starts right up, idles perfectly. From a dead stop, when I give it throttle its a dog. The tranny hangs in 2nd (TV cable?) until I let off throttle a little and then keeps crawling until i get into lockup. Acceleration isnt to bad, just dosent seem right.

Now if I punch it WOT once in lockup the rpms shoot up by 2 or 300 almost like its slipping or popped out of lockup. If i roll into it once in lockup, it holds fine and takes off like a rocket. No smoke till lockup except if i burp the throttle taking off. Truck is less then a week old to me!

Tranny fluid is red, dosent smell burnt at all.

This is the first truck I have purchased in 8 years. stepping up from a 98 f150. Im really hoping i didnt make a mistake and the tranny is on its way out. Any ideas?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

anyone?

Last edited by liv4sno1; 04-18-2013 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-19-2013, 06:14 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked for any bad codes??

Old 04-19-2013, 08:32 PM

I did, got a code for bad 02 sensor and running to rich..... Really?

Old 04-20-2013, 06:22 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

That truck is definitely an upgrade, and IMO not a bad move at all. That's a reasonable price if the truck is clean, especially with a plow.
A performance converter in an otherwise stock tranny is asking for trouble. More grip on the clutch is good, but the main problem with these transmissions is that they don't have enough line pressure- not even enough to keep the stock converter clamped under stress with stock power, so they definitely don't have enough line pressure with power upgrades. It'll feel better than stock just putting around taking it easy, but if you load it hard you'll just tear that expensive new TC up. I doubt your tranny is on the way out, but keep throwing power at that TC without turning up the line pressure and it's going to keep slipping worse and worse. Look into a shift kit or aftermarket valve body.

If the TV is where it belongs, you could need a band adjustment to clean up that 2nd gear hangup. Actually, the TV being out of adjustment could be causing the lockup problem as well. When they aren't set right, they can cause some crazy things to happen.

Last edited by JBearSVT; 04-20-2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:01 AM

Thanks! I love the truck and hope to keep it for many years and miles!

I was planning on buying shift kit off ebay and adjusting the bands when i was down there. Will that suffice? I am planning on only turning the pump up and trying to keep the great gas mileage (compared to my f150). I was screwing around with the truck and turned the smoke screw up a little, looked like it never had been done because there was one tamper proof screw still untouched. It seemed like the truck shifted better after and had a little more get up and go. Probaby didnt help that the afc was loose and missing a screw! Could it have been starving for fuel?

Old 04-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Diesel Bomber

With a #10 plate, I shouldn't think so. By "smoke screw", do you mean the screw in the back, or the starwheel on top? Most people think they're talking about the smoke screw and they're really talking about the starwheel, which really isn't. Turning it forward can light the turbo off a little sooner though.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:44 PM

I turned the screw in the back inward. thats the "smoke screw" right? i had been reading that controls pre boost fuel. I just got back from screwing around with it again, i messed with the TV cable adjusment on the throttle linkage and wow! I dialed it in so it shifts perfect now. she isnt a dog anymore! Only problem i have now is the TC wont stay locked. I checked out the wires around the alternator (as seen on youtube) and they seem fine. I was thinking maybe a lockup switch would fix? Im starting to feel better and better about the truck.

One other question, I have one of those boost elbows coming off afc with a allen screw in it. I dont dare mess around with it until i get gauges, but im guessing screw out more boost and screw in less?

Old 04-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Diesel Bomber

What exactly is it doing when it doesn't stay locked? Does it lockup at all? Hunt around? In and out? Or is it slipping in lockup? Have you checked your TPS voltage? The cable is only half the battle- the mechanical half. The electrical half is at least as important and can be far more... frustrating. Putting in a lockup switch would certainly help narrow down the problem.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:57 PM

It will lockup and disengage especially if i really get into it. I dont think its slipping while in lockup, because if i keep steady throttle and it disengages, the truck will drive as if it was unlocked. I will be installing the switch soon, will check tps voltage tomorrow. The specs are prob already posted but do you know off the top of your head?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I found a pretty detailed website that explains exactly what to do and look for.

Last edited by liv4sno1; 04-20-2013 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost