12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

HELP!! ESN

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HELP!! ESN

I have a 98 2500 Heavy Duty Quad Cab, 12valve, 4x4, with manual transmission. my Engine Serial Number is long gone. Every time I call Cummins for PART INFORMATION they ask for my ESN and claim they cant find anything without it. Dodge cannot find it by the VIN or at least the dealer where I live.

My idea is that I can get any ESN with a manual transmission for 1998 and this should no longer be a problem. SOOOOOOOOOooooooo Can I geeta nummer PLEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Come on please some one. its not a SSN its just a Engine serial number so I can get mah parts. any one but a California truck.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Seriously!?!? 126 views and NO one can help me out. NO ONE?!?! I'm hurt bros. Its not like a credit card. OK Does anyone know a dealer that can trace an Engine Serial Number by the VIN?

Last edited by NEWBIE 98; 03-12-2013 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-12-2013, 07:31 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The following users liked this post:
NEWBIE 98 (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was asking the same thing myself the other day, in the last few years Chrysler has been having us techs, do a aftertreatment vailidation test on the new 6.7l that have a MIL illumination, for some reason they have us look up the ESN and I always wondered why , shouldn't they know this... the truth is they have no idea . they do not know by vin, so no you cannot determin a ESN by a vin number, although you can get vehicle build sheet by vin wich shows all your RPO's wich should get you into the zone of getting just about any parts you could need for your motor

im curious what exact parts are you looking for, most 12v cummins parts are pretty basic stuff

good luck
scott

The following users liked this post:
NEWBIE 98 (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 11:23 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah bro fer sure. It is simple. If I go to Dodge I give year and model or the VIN at worst and I"ll get my part. The problem is the price. I asked for an oil pressure switch 2 days ago and they said $65. I'm thinking ,"oh hell no" for a normally open switch. thank you bye.

I go to the Cummins parts counter and they ALWAYS need ESN And Cry when they see me. but they try. Cause some sorry butthole stole the Cummins parts book for both 97 and 98 Dodge trucks. And there is a Cummins tech there that worked for dodge for 20 years between the two they come up with one. BUUUUuuuut you have to buy a section of wire harness and pull the cotton picking wire out of the loom and remove the pins from the Damn PCM and run the new one in in reverse order. plug it up and then do something with the key I guess that resets the PCM. OOOOOOHHhh Holy Crap!!!! I ask the tech are you serious!?!?! He asks ,"is the truck here?" Fortunately it is. He looks and says it looks like its already been done you just need the switch. *great* I look at it and the plug has 2 wires but the new sensor has 1 prong and same with the new harness. dude get away from my truck.

So tonight just out of curiosity I go to the Zone and ask them about the switch which is Duralast and is like $34 exactly the same as the one in there now.

The Cummins part which is "improved type" .and totally different thread size than the Duralast Part, was $10 the harness section is like $6. So WTF Cummins Why ya gotta be like that? I Feel like If I had the ESN for a 98 12valve I could get my stuff easier and a better quality without getting put over a barrel by Dodge to run a train on me. I mean I know you gotta make some money but Dang Dude