12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

1992 with a p pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 with a p pump

I have a 92 cummins with a p pump. i want to get a little more power out of the engine. just doesn't seem like it is running out like it should. it doesn't like any type of hill, it will actually lose 5-10 mph on a small incline. would turning the fuel pin help? or replace the pin and diaphram.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

what your talking about is the afc pin that holds the foot I'm assumeing? any how if it s a bone stock pump by sliding the plate ff and modding the afc will help a good deal till you hit the 2200 rpm wall of the stock gov springs.

you can give the stockers a few more clicks but your best bet is to invest in a set of 4k springs.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

either way that sounds like a deeper issue than just a stock truck with low power. before any upgrades my 96 cclb would maintain or accelerate any hill around with an auto.
if its a p7100 it doesnt have a pin and diaphram it has a fuel plate in the afc housing. you can just slide it forward, grind it for a different fuel curve and slide it forward or buy a custom plate. it should help. i still wonder if there is a deeper problem tho..

Old 03-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Diesel Bomber

he also posted this in the 1st gen sections so who knows what he has ... also a p pump does have a diaphram that works just like the ve pumps its inside the afc housing the fuel plate is below the afc housing

Old 03-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Diesel Fan

yes i did also post in the first gen cause that is what it is. A 1st gen with a p-7100 injection pump. I also posted it here cause i know there are more people here that are more formiluar with the p pump. I am looking for some help. would changing the the pin and diaphram help or am i just pissing in the wind.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Diesel Bomber

changeing the pin will do nothing, if the diaphram has a hole in it or is leaking than yes that will help. but if nothing is wrong with it than no it will also do nothing if you change it.

if you are looking for some free power than do what I suggested in my first post

The following users liked this post:
peterbuilt1024 (03-19-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Diesel Fan

ok thanks for that info. Another thing I was thinking is to turn the fuel up just a little. I have not messed with a p pump in a long time so please bare with me. the springs you are talking about is the spring in the afc housing?

Old 03-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Diesel Bomber

no the springs I'm talking about are on the gov, there are 2 of them one per gov weight, giving them a few clicks will gain some more rpm but a new set of springs is the right way to do it.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peterbuilt1024
yes i did also post in the first gen cause that is what it is. A 1st gen with a p-7100 injection pump. I also posted it here cause i know there are more people here that are more formiluar with the p pump. I am looking for some help. would changing the the pin and diaphram help or am i just pissing in the wind.
Sounds like an awesome truck! but if you have a P-7100 you do not have a diaphram or fuel pin. you have an AFC housing and fuel plate. sliding the plate will help, there is a star wheel under the bolt on the top of the afc housing that you can turn. turning it towards the motor will add pre-boost fuel. also do you know what size p-pump it is? do you still have the HC1 turbo? you should be able to tinker with it and have it running like a top.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Cumminsaddict
Sounds like an awesome truck! but if you have a P-7100 you do not have a diaphram or fuel pin. you have an AFC housing and fuel plate. sliding the plate will help, there is a star wheel under the bolt on the top of the afc housing that you can turn. turning it towards the motor will add pre-boost fuel. also do you know what size p-pump it is? do you still have the HC1 turbo? you should be able to tinker with it and have it running like a top.
Apparently someone has not had a p-pump AFC housing apart. YES there is a diaphram in a P pump AFC, it sits vertically vise horizontal in the VE pump. The P pump diaphram is conected to the AFC foot and allows the foot and gov arm to move under boost with the "fuel plate"/"cam plate" being somewhat of a stop. The VE pump diaphram is connected to the "fuel pin" and also allows more fuel while boost builds.

If guys on here give you a short answer, it is because the "getting more power out of my truck" issue has been addressed millions of times and information can be simply had by a google search. With your situation being that someone or yourself p pumped this motor i would check the timing since the cover and pump and gear was all off and put on during the swap. Make sure it is not retarded vise advanced. Also make sure you have the major check points covered, check your fuel pressure just because you have an aftermarked LP doesnt mean you are getting good fuel pressure in the pump, your FSS arm could not be getting full travel, your OFV could be weak/faulty. what kind of boost are you seeing? check intercooler boots and clamps. Seeing that it is a first gen and is now over 20 years old it wouldnt hurt to run through the valves, not a huge deal just a suggestion. what injectors are you running? If you are interested in doing gov springs im sure there are a handful of threads that you can find or a youtube video somewhere.

Quick Reply: 1992 with a p pump