12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Smelling Diesel Fuel after High Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 09:40 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Smelling Diesel Fuel after High Speeds

I try not to post without looking through as much info as I can, but I haven't found anyone else with an issue like this.
Here's what she's doin:
After around 75 or higher, if the heater is blowin, I can smell diesel fuel. Unburnt diesel fuel. Yesterday, I was doin at least 90 (bad day) and I started smellin it, so I pulled over and checked it out, and I can't see fuel leaking on the ground, however it did look like the front injector might have had some fuel around it, but I couldn't tell what was up. Should have smelled it to see what it was.
I also seem to have lost some power, which I'm starting to attribute to slipped timing. Sometimes in the morning if it's cold (which it may do when warm, but in Indy it's always under 60 this time of year) and I let it sit for a minute and try to rev it up a bit, it kind of sputters around 1500 rpm. Not sure if it just needs to warm up more or what. Any and all help is appreciated!

Old 02-18-2013, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 332 Likes on 316 Posts

It sounds like you may have a cracked fuel injector.
I would pull the injector and look at it.
Or it could be as easy as a worn copper oring causing fuel to get past the injector.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Go through and check the injector retaining nuts and fuel return line banjos.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Ok, so I looked it over, and it's definitely coming from the front most injector (I can't remember the order, but I think that's cylinder 1, correct?). I took some photos of it and another injector that I'm curious about. Even after flooring it and getting up to about 75, I couldn't smell it, but I pulled over and popped the hood and saw a bit of fuel sitting around the edge, not a pool, just a little where it should be dry. The back of the washer is pinched, but I wouldn't think that would cause it since another injector (the one right behind it) has the washer sitting above where it should be seated, and it looks dry. Hopefully the photos will explain this better.
I tightened down the fuel line just a little bit because it seemed somewhat loose. Could this explain why I'm smoking less? I've heard that the engine actually smokes a little bit more than it should after a fresh rebuild and cleaning, and that it starts to clean up and make more power after a few thousand miles. I have to be closer to 6k miles since the rebuild, and it doesn't seem to smoke under load like it used to. Or could this be causing it?
I also took a video of the "stuttering" I was talking about. You can hear it better the second time I rev the motor.

This photo is pointing to where the fuel SEEMS to be originating from. After driving back out to class, it didn't seem to be as bad. I'll test drive it a little more tomorrow when I can get some more open road than I had today.
Name:  IMAG0368_zps1edc3c74.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  143.0 KB

This photo shows the second injector that is dry and doesn't appear to be leaking, but the little o-ring seal isn't seated at all. Is this even a problem I should worry about?
Name:  IMAG0372_zps3838fc52.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  96.5 KB

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!

Last edited by jeffsqartan; 02-18-2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Photobucket won't host my video :(
Old 02-22-2013, 08:53 AM
Diesel Fan

The o ring is just to keep trash from getting in the space around the injector and the hold down nut. The seal is the copper gasket at the injector seat.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 171 Likes on 90 Posts

Based on the first picture, I would take a look at the copper sealing washer.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daveO
Based on the first picture, I would take a look at the copper sealing washer.

the stuttering could be related, but timing is a possiblity would easily be worth checking

wich reminds me, I gotta get my pump timing tool back from a buddy who borrowed it like forever ago

good luck
scott

Old 02-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I just had the hood popped, unfortunately not to look at the injectors. But I did, and the front one is dry. All I did was tighten the nut, so I think that's all it was.
I had the hood popped cause of a click/tap. I think my flexplate was starting to bend, because ten minutes later the motor started free spinning. Now when I try to start it the starter just free spins :banghead: Gonna get it on the lift tonight and hopefully get a diagnosis.

Sent from my HTC One X (CleanROM)