12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

fuel problems in my 98 12 valve

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel problems in my 98 12 valve

i have just recently put a new headgasket in my 98 12 valve. truck went back together smoothly but now it appears ive got a fuel leak somewhere i belive it has something to do with the 2 banjo bolts that hold the fuel rail on top of the water seperator. i orderd new gasket washers for them installed them and it stopped the leak. but the one banjo bolt has some sort of valve screw on top (10mm) not sure what it does but the fuel was still leaking from there, just temporarily i tryed to seal the leak with jb weld while i am still waiting for the new part to come in. but my problem now is i cant get fuel to bleed to my injectors. matter of fact i cant even get it to bleed out of the injector pump but when i took the line off that feeds the injector pump fuel was coming out of it. not sure what is wrong i dont think my injector pump is cooked because i shut the truck off running if anybody might know whats wrong that would be great!! thanks

Old 02-14-2013, 08:19 PM

The banjo closest to the front, on top of the filter to the goes to the injection pump inlet and is a single banjo bolt, the rearward is a piggyback banjo the larger line on the bottom comes from the lift pump the smaller one on top of this comes from the injector return. When I changed my injectors I primed it with the lift pump primer till fuel came out at the injection pump inlet then tightened that banjo, with the lines from the delivery valves loose I cranked the motor with the starter several times till fuel came out, thighten them , now with the lines loose at the injectors crank it some more till fuel at the injectors, then tighten lines at injectors and crank some more should start.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:34 PM

thanks man! well i ended up having to change my lift pump. finally got the truck to start ran good for a few minutes then it just died. had to manually pump the transfer pump for about 5 minutes to get all the bubbles out then bleed the injectors again, it started but will only run if you have your foot on the throttle if you try to let it idle it chokes out. not sure what is going on. this truck is giving me all the problems it can think of. maybe have a busted fuel line somewhere? not sure how. any subjestions would be great!

Old 02-20-2013, 07:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hate to share some dumb that I experienced earlier this week, but is there sufficient fuel in the tank? My gauge had me convinced of 1/4-full. It was wrong. I assumed bad lift pump. I suspected clogged fuel filter or obstructed heater bowl. I was wrong. It was expensive and painful to be told that I'd ignored the simplest possible solution.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

The 10 mm on top of the filter housing is to bleed the air up to that point, loosen it and pump the primer till you get fuel comin out with no air bubbles. When you get to that point close bleeder screw, crack open injector lines and have someone crank it, tighten injector lines one at a time when they start squirting straight fuel with no air.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Default fuel problem i have

i have a 96 cummins i first wasnt getting fuel to my injection pump so i put a airdog system on now i get fuel to it but not out of the lines on injection pump so i put one on that came off of my buddys running 95 cummins and i get a little fuel comming out of one line i tryed bleeding the lines i can get the truck to start with starting fluid thats it any suggestions?

Old 02-24-2013, 07:46 PM
Diesel Bomber

Possibly a bad overflow valve letting all the fuel dump right back out the return line, try clamping it off and see what happens. I have a brand new Bosch OFV in the package still if you need one

Old 02-24-2013, 07:56 PM

i just put a new over flow valve on it already

Old 02-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Diesel Bomber

Crack all the lines loose at the injectors and have someone crank it over, tighten each line as they start squirting straight fuel with no air.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:03 PM

i did that already also and nothing i even tryed bleeding them one at a time and nothing is there anyway the shut off seloind could be bad i mean the pump has sat for a month before putting on my truck

Quick Reply: fuel problems in my 98 12 valve