12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

47re won't downshift?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 47re won't downshift?!

Well guys I have a built 47re. At the time I had it built I didn't have the money to put a vb in it so I left it stock. It pulls great however im having an issue thats really getting irritating . It wont downshift, never has sense the day I bought this truck.

When slowing down it wont downshift till I come to a complete stop and it drops straight to first kinda hard , or on the highway if I go to mash on it hard it won't downshift a gear and grab some higher rpm's, wont do it when hauling either witch gets really rough when you need those higher rpm's of 3rd gear on a hill and it won't downshift for you.

So for the past week I have just been shifting down to second on my own to help me slow down a little without burning up my brakes. Today all of a sudden it started downshifting, did it a couple times, then it started doing this thing where it would downshift and then a second later shift back up and keep doing that till I came to a complete stop (it has done this before, the day before the transmission went out , coincidence maybe). I do have a TC lock up switch, hardly ever use it, and I do have a jumper wire in place of the relay.

I have heard lots about the governor sensor and solenoid going bad. Do you think this is my problem? Id really like a new vb but don't want to blow my savings on that just right now. Any ideas what else it could be? Maybe a bad transducer? Any help would be really great, im doing a fluid change soon and it would be nice to fix this problem while im in there!

Im ordering my Transgo shift kit in a couple days (blowing some tax money). That should help it to, if my problem is a governor sensor and solenoid should i order those as well along with the shift kit?
I know there is lots of talk about this on the forum, however my symptoms seem a little different from others.

Thanks!

Last edited by rollinblackcoal; 02-03-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

chat with some trans shops .... i am confused by these issues ... .... it does sound like your having some sticking valve issues ..... not sure that the shift kit will do much ... might end up aggrivating this issue ........ ...... would almost think its like a bad solenoid or something pressure regulating piston or shift spring... not too sure could be a multi-point diag. need pressure info ... may have to have a trans shop do some diag for ya ... u do have something going on in there though ...