Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

Hi all, I just finished installing a 3/4k GSK kit from pacbrake. I installed it as a 3k kit with the inside spring left out. I measured my stock spring tension-distance and set the new to the same with 0.075". After install idle was very ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-02-2013, 02:29 AM
Diesel Fan

Default Help adjusting 3k GSK

Hi all,
I just finished installing a 3/4k GSK kit from pacbrake. I installed it as a 3k kit with the inside spring left out.

I measured my stock spring tension-distance and set the new to the same with 0.075".
After install idle was very high, ~1200RPM. I went back in and loosened them about 3/4turn, now idle is down to ~1000RPM free and 800RPM in park, this is still a lot higher than it used to be.

I figure that I need to just go back in and loosen them up some more. Also driving does not feel improved at all. I have less power and can not notice if there is any RPM difference. I used to see ~19PSI WOT @2000RPM and now I see barely 15.

Note: to install I went through the top of the AFC housing. I marked position for the plate and everything is reinstalled as close as possible to the original.

Is there a trick or something I am missing? My first impressions with a 3k GSK are not very good compared to stocker.
Thoughts?

*Edit*
Stock there were 4 governor springs. I removed the 3 smallest springs and their respective seats. I was not able to find any shims on either side for the small springs. There were shims for the larger springs, but the instructions said not to remove those. I reinstalled 2 new springs and the new seats.

The_Master's Sig:Stock 1996 12 Valve Automatic 2WD, 4" Turbo-back, Crew Cab, Long Bed, KDP:Tabbed EGT, BOOST, TransTemp. Capped Boost Line.

Last edited by The_Master; 02-02-2013 at 03:00 AM..
Old 02-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Diesel Bomber

aint got one aint got one aint got one never played does the original PS have this option? isnt this a money order thing?

sounds like you might have already had a gov spring kit in there. tighten them back down about 5 clicks per side and adjust the idle down via the idle adjustment screw on the back of the pump.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Diesel Fan

How do I know if I had a governor spring kit installed?

My power seemed to top off @ about 2200 RPM before. I could free rev it a little higher, but I was never able to get much power above that. I was hoping to just prolong the power curve through ~2800RPM before the governor started defueling..

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Ok, so I adjusted the idle screw and now the idle is proper, about 750 in park.

I tried sliding the AFC housing full forward and I did not like the outcome. I tried sliding it full aft and everything seems much better. However, max boost seems to be ~15PSI (boot fitting capped shut) and no smoke (very clean). I then adjusted the star wheel to full forward to attempt to build more boost and it *may* have helped a little but the difference is not that noticeable. The truck drives fine now, but seems to have a little more power down low and a little less in the top end (15PSI vs 19PSI). I still need to play with the smoke screw a little to limit the pre-boost fuel, but that is also accomplished with one's foot for the time being.

I am a little confused.
What is the adjustment to build more boost/fuel-more in the higher RPM's?

*edit* the GSK kit seems to let it free-rev up through 3k without issues, but I have not pushed it more than that without valve springs.

Last edited by The_Master; 02-02-2013 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok Everyone, Just to wrap this thread up. I loosened the GSK spring tension a little and then adjusted the idle screw down to about 750RPM an everything is running great.
I also adjusted the AFC & moved the torque plate & AFC housing forward.

The only problem is I can slip the torque converter now, so I have to use a little right foot control.

submit to reddit