12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Rear main, clutch, and flywheel replacement write up

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear main, clutch, and flywheel replacement write up

So today i started on what was originally supposed to be only a rear seal replacement but turned into a flywheel and clutch replacement as well-_____-

I know its a cheap clutch but i dont have money to be dropping on a 500-900 clutch on unexpected terms and when i pulled the clutch today i got an unexpected sight of an extremely worn clutch. So i was forced to buy a clutch kit at auto zone for $250. Then found out i need a new flywheel too cuz mine had heated up and cracked and these cracks couldnt be resurfaced and so i had to buy a $150 oreillys flywheel. Again, i know neither of these items are of great quality but its all i can afford for now haha.

Im 17 and my buddy helped me do all the work to drop everything today, oh and i had to order my flywheel to be shipped to the store so were putting everything back together tomorrow, heres the steps that we took, oh and this website isnt cooperating and wont let me do big pictures, any advice on doing that?

1. We took the shifter boots off and took the shifter stick off of the shifting lever.
2. We took both driveshafts off and the skid plate.
3. Next was the slave cylinder and the 3 wire plugs and a hose that were attached to the trans housing.
4. We then supported the trans with the jack (everything was done with the truck on a lift by the way). Then took out the 10 bolts holding the crossmember to the frame and trans. This wasnt hard to do at all, just meticulous because of the bolts in the frame.
5. We then took the 4 bolts out holding the trans to the bellhousing, moved the trans backwards and lowered her down (that big girl with the t-case weighs a blooming ton!)
6. Next was the bellhousing, this was easy, (yes i know i could have taken the bell and trans off at the same time but this is my first time dropping a trans so i wanted to take it all apart ad see what makes this boat float!)
7. Next was the clutch and flywheel, taking these off was the easiest part of the whole process, .
8. Now we can see the seal itself, we put a drywall screw 180 degrees apart from eachother on the seal and used them as a handle to pry the seal out.
9. Next i took some brake cleaner and clean the back of the engine around the seal.

Like i said, this was my first transmission drop, but im not new to doing mechanic work either. Ill admit i was a tiny bit nervous about taking all of this stuff apart but at the same time i was excited! If you are at all mechanically inclined and need to change a seal, clutch or anything like this, dont be afraid to tackle this task because its not a hard thing to do, its just alot of stuff to take apart haha

I will follow up tomorrow when i finish putting everything back together! Thanks for reading!

Old 01-02-2015, 01:56 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can get any pics uploaded that would be great. I'm gearing up to do my clutch in the spring. Hope all went well

Old 01-05-2015, 09:01 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My phone won't let me add pictures, sorry buddy! I'll tell you this though, I just did a clutch in my new truck about 2 months ago, I had a new jack this time. I got a harbor freight floor Jack with a 10"x20" piece of sheet metal on it and it worked beautifully. Best tip I can give you is make sure you separate all your bolts and parts with eachother. Make sure you unhook all wires to the trans as well, I thought I did, dropped the trans a little and found one more. I believe there is four total plugs you have to unhook. Good luck and just take your time if you can! Make sure you Loctite EVERYTHING!

Old 01-05-2015, 05:08 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, yeah I'm hoping it's not going to be too much of a pain. Which clutch did you end up going with? I've heard good reviews about the valair single disk 13"