12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

New toy

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laugh New toy

Just picked up a 1995 Dodge Ram 3500 with the 5.9L Cummins in it today. Drove it home (100 miles) and it seems to run well. I've found a few things I want to fix:

- Safety recall on the headlights
- Killer dowel pin

I'll also be putting new tires on the front, and it kind of needs a new exhaust system.

Beyond that, I'm contemplating doing some power upgrades, but I don't really need them and I'm worried about the transmission and torque converter if I do (it's an automatic). Drives fine now, would like to keep it that way.

I'm going through older posts to learn more about these trucks, but if anyone has tips or experiences they'd like to share, I'd appreciate it.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:59 PM
Diesel Fan

Don't buy a killer dowell kit make your own and save your self 100 bucks

Old 01-07-2013, 10:52 PM

Theirs some easy and CHEAP mod you can do to get you more power but not give you a lot of extra things to worry about. I have a 1996 dodge cummins 3500 with the 5 speed transmission and my setup is just a fuel plate ground down some (i dont know how much because the guy i bought it from did it and i haven't looked at it yet), the afc is fully loosened, and i have a homemade manual boost controller set at 30 This setup works very well and cost about 5 bucks. I dont like blowin smoke all over the place so when idrive, my foot acts as an afc but if i want and/or need to i can step on it at low boost levels and she will roll the coal. You will also want a boost gauge witch i have and an egt gauge witch i dont have yet

Good luck to you and if you want to know more jus let me know

Old 01-07-2013, 11:43 PM
Diesel Fan

Before you get to carried with the power end of it you will definately want to upgrade the tranny TC and a valvebody. and give the front end a good looking over. bushings, tie rod ends, etc

Old 01-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

3k gsk, fuel plate, EGT, Trans temp, and boost gauge, upgraded intake, upgraded air filter, and upgraded tc. Oh yeah, upgrade your exhaust. I suggest straight piped. Loud, throaty, and aggressive sound, but not so loud you can't hear your radio or someone next to you even with factory speakers. Hope that helps man!!!

Old 01-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Fox
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4,294,967,295 Likes on 7 Posts

Dont waste your money on GSK, or fuel Plate. Dont bother buying a branded intake kit.

These are all things you can modify the stock or buy off the shelf parts for dirt cheap/free.

As for Torque convertor. If you do that, buy it at Autozone. Oddly enough they have the lowest price of ANYONE SELLING ON THE MARKET currently. ANYONE.

As for upgrading exhaust. Just get rid of the catalytic converter and straight pipe the muffler. Leave the OEM tubing there for the moment, as long as its all not rusted to hell and back.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Site Sponsor - 1aauto
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

If you put a good torque converter in it along with a valve body you trans will be okay

Old 01-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

FOX, I wasnt saying buy a fuel plate, I meant slide or grind his current one. Did I ever say buy an intake? I said upgrade it.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Fox
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4,294,967,295 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey... wasn't accusing. But many people jump to the conclusion of buying things first, when they don't know the tips and tricks that they have not picked up yet...

Old 01-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Good point. Also, I agree with joryg on the kdp kit. Some are ok, some are like tin foil. Even if you don't have the material for a tab, get a piece of off the shelf steel for less than 5 bucks and bend it to shape with a vice and hammer. Let us know!!! If you don't mind, post up some pictures?

Quick Reply: New toy