12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

injection pump solenoid shut off

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 01:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default injection pump solenoid shut off

hey guys just wondering if someone can help me out here. i have a 95 12 valve and the previous owner before me installed a solenoid shut off switch to close the sonenoid when the truck isnt running. well today i went to fire up my truck and it wouldnt start cause it wasnt getting fuel. traced the wire from the switch to the battery and there is a 25 amp fuse there that had blown. so no problem i replace the fuse and it fired up no problem. i drove down the street to fuel up and shut off the truck and suprise... wont start. look at the fuse and it has blown again. this time i left the hood open when i hit the switch and the fuse blows as soon as i hit it. i am debating on removing the fuse entirely and runing straight to battery but i dont want my truck to go up in flames. just wondering if someone could help me out because i cant find anything on this problem and im not the best with electrical.
thanks

Old 01-02-2013, 08:29 PM

My old 94 that i used to have ate fuel solenoids like nobodys buisness. If you can't figure it out you can always put a pull cable on the shut off lever. That's what I had to do.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:34 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Short inside the switch.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:37 PM

There should be 3 wires goin to the solenoid mine are black white and green. One should be ground, one to ignition (or any switch that has power) this one is to keep the solenoid open while the engine is running. The third is to move the solenoid open right before you start the engine normally this one is on a solenoid that has direct power from the battery this solenoid would engage at the same time that the starter would crank and the fuel solenoid would open and would stay open as long as the ignition was in the run position. On your truck does that switch open the solenoid or hold it??? Im guessing the switch is in place of either the electric solenoid that powers the fuel solenoid at startup or in place of the ignition to hold it open.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The cutoff trick is to put the switch in the "hold-open" line. His fuse-blowing would suggest something really weird. Usually fuses blow when a switch is "on", rather than when turning off. Were it me, I'd pull the switch out, "short" the wires, and see if that blows the fuse, or restores normalcy..... Unless the guy put the switch on the "pull-open" line, which would be goofy... Might also explain a 25-A fuse....repeat TWENTY-FIVE AMPS!, that's probably "pull-open" rather than "hold-open", and blows sometimes, and not others, pretty much randomly. I used to have a "kill" switch on my hold-open line, and liked it just fine. ====I think, however, that I'm going to install a push-pull cable, and not worry about the electricals at all.....that's just me, though.