12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

SOS HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOS HELP!!!!

Hey guys I am in trouble and got issues. I shut my 95 off yesterday after driving all day no issues but I shut it off went inside and not 20 mins later came back out and when I turned the key nothing. it went through the regular prestart wind up waited for the grid to run through its cycle then turned it to the start position and nothing not even a clicky clicky for a dead battery check battery terms, relays, even smacked the starter with a hammer, nothing I replaced the ignition switch on the column today and still nothing however I noticed that big 40amp fuse in the box on the fender well was blown replaced that and just as soon as I turned the key it blew it to. so a big WTF folks what is causing a dead-short to blow the fuse where would be that best place to go looking for it? it don't think it is the starter you can hear the relays clickin man the selinoid isn't even tripping please guys I need help this is my daily driver cannot afford to have it down like this !

Old 12-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Diesel Fan

Check all your battery cables and make sure none of them havent gotten rubbed raw by moving parts and is shorting out and blowing that fuse. I had to replace my starter at the lake this past summer (i even had to get a duramax to pull me up on the concrete out of the hole where the camper is, so that brought much ridicule, LOL) But the fuse was blown and theres a little terminal on the starter that was broken off inside the starter housing causing the circuit to not be completed. I ended up having to jump that fuse to get me home because i didnt have any money left after buying a starter Good luck buddy

Old 12-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Diesel Fan

Take the solenoid wire off of the starter ( the small one) and make sure its not touching anything metal, and see if the fuse still blows. if it doesn't blow, then its most likely the starter solenoid shorted out.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Diesel Fan

Guys thank you for the prompt replies going to have wait a couple of days before I can get to it, been going over the wiring diagram and came to the same idea. the very idea kinda rankles me I just replaced that starter this spring oh well again thanks I let you know what I find out

Old 01-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Diesel Fan

Finally got the correct starter yesterday put it in today and waalaaa It lives so again guys thank you