12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

rough running then sputters and dies

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough running then sputters and dies

my buddy has a 96 dodge cummins and his truck is acting like it is starving for fuel and then sputters and dies we changed the fuel filter and when we changed the filter the truck started up ran rough for a second and then idled fine i was wondering if this meant it was the lift pump because we did fill up the new filter with fuel before putting on. didn't no if truck ran smooth awhile cause it had fuel in filter and after it used that it was starving or what??????

Old 12-25-2012, 01:50 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any time you replace fuel filter you normally get air in system. The less air you get in the better. When I replace the fuel filter I only fill new filter with what I get out of old filter and that leaves enough air to test lift pump. I start truck and let it run at 1200 rpm's. it will run smooth then rough and if it has a good lift pump smooth again. I have found a couple bad lift pumps this way!!! One on my truck and one on a customers.. After fuel filter you weren't clear on how it runs, still rough?

The following users liked this post:
Smcdirtbike (12-25-2012)
Old 12-25-2012, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v15004x4
Any time you replace fuel filter you normally get air in system. The less air you get in the better. When I replace the fuel filter I only fill new filter with what I get out of old filter and that leaves enough air to test lift pump. I start truck and let it run at 1200 rpm's. it will run smooth then rough and if it has a good lift pump smooth again. I have found a couple bad lift pumps this way!!! One on my truck and one on a customers.. After fuel filter you weren't clear on how it runs, still rough?
sorry yes it still runs rough and we changed out lift pump and it is running fine now for time being

Old 12-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its fine now you're set. Sometimes the preheater fails and lets air in it. Most bypass it.