12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Rear cam plug question for 12 valve re build

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear cam plug question for 12 valve re build

Hey guys, I'm new here, I'm putting a 97 12 valve in my 08 super duty. I am doing some moderate modifications including a 63/68 turbo, ddp stage 3 injectors, 4gsk 60 lbs springs, etc etc. Anyway, I just got the block back from the machine shop, got the crank in, and put in the cam, thrust plate, and noticed there was very excesive end play on the cam. Probably 1/8 inch. So I tried tapping the plug in at the rear, but bottomed out and still had way too much play. So I pulled the cam, removed the plug, and installed a new one. It still had excesive play, but if I used a socket on the middle of the plug the punch it in, it would bend, and I got it to right around spec. Just wondering if this is the proper procedure? I am using the same cam, thrust plate, etc so just confused why the old one didn't work, and wanting to make sure what I did is ok and will hold up.

Another question that I have is that I milled my fuel plate down to a 100, and now that I have it installed I notice that unless it is all the way back, the foot misses the plate completely. Just wondering if this is normal? After lots of reading it seems like I should still be able to have my plate pushed all the way forward, but I can't.

Any advice on either of these topics is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one has any experience with this? I found now that you can adjust the governor arm to hit the plate, but I can't find any procedure of how to go about it. As for the cam plug, I installed my bellhousing and I think it should hold the plug in, but some more input would make me a bit more comfortable.