12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

how much can i turn up my 12 valve

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the best and safest thing would be to just do the 3k GSK, as that won't increase total torque, it'll just make it rev more freely, as opposed to starting to defuel at 2300 RPM

Old 12-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

fuel plate f/f exhaust bhaf 3ks boost elbo and some guages should do you good the 3ks will make the truck totaly diff.. pedal will be touchy and yould have alot more passing power.. thats what i have done to my 96 and it beats the hell outa my stock 95! been dd and towing with it like this going on 2 years and have no had one problem.. my trans was new when i bought the truck also..

The following users liked this post:
Truck Guy99 (12-19-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 12:54 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by gyayo2012
fuel plate f/f exhaust bhaf 3ks boost elbo and some guages should do you good the 3ks will make the truck totaly diff.. pedal will be touchy and yould have alot more passing power.. thats what i have done to my 96 and it beats the hell outa my stock 95! been dd and towing with it like this going on 2 years and have no had one problem.. my trans was new when i bought the truck also..
I'm with this guy and this guy only on this thread^^^

gyayo2012 (12-18-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

gyayo has it all down on this one. I would do that setup. Some people will tell you to pinch the wastegate line, but NEVER do that. It will allow unlimited amounts of boost to your turbo and can cause some damage. Boost elbow like gyayo said is the way to go with that department. Just a heads up there.

gyayo2012 (12-18-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I read, Dodge detuned the engine for the autos, because before the detune the transmission couldn't hold that power. If it's your only vehicle, I wouldn't add any power until you have a built up tranny... Some last a while with more power, some blow quick on stock power.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:52 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Maintenance is a big factor on engine durability at stock or turned up engis and transmissions. If it is a weekend hauler or hunting trip truck, turn it up some. If it's your only vehicle and you have no backup, invest in some transmission upgrades first. Even if you don't turn it up, some suggest at least getting a deeper transmission fluid pan if you are hauling alot. The extra fluid will keep your tranny happy under a big load of firewood or with some added power.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Oh yeah, get gauges first!!!!!!

Last edited by Truck Guy99; 12-19-2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Diesel Fan

How many miles are on the truck? Was the tranny maintenanced? If you dont know the history of how often the fluid was changed I personally wouldn't change the fluid. Changed the fluid in mine and no joke it didnt last 800 miles before the trans went.

If you know the history and its been changed every 25,000 miles then keep up with that. Scoot your plate forward and dont worry about it. A well maintenanced transmission can hold up better then one thats been neglected.

Id enjoy hearing how many miles are on the truck though?

Old 12-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Name:  blink.gif
Views: 1132
Size:  1.4 KB This is the first time I've ever heard of changing the fluid killing a transmission. I don't even know where to begin trying to address thinking about such a thing.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:58 PM
Diesel Fan

Transmission fluid is a hydrolic detergent that suspends metal shavings and other particles in the fluid to be collected in the tranny filter. After time, heat and other minor factors, it loses those properties and the shavings begin to fall and settle in the torque converter, tranny pan and anywhere else there is a low-flow of fluid. If the fluid has not been changed every 25,000 miles or every 2 years, which ever comes first. Then metal begins to settle. Now let me explain this in a time line format.

The truck is bought new and used for every day work, the tranny never sees a fresh bit of fluid for 150,000 miles. This guy comes across the truck and figures heck a good tranny fluid change and a filter will do it some good, wrong! Sense the fluid wasnt changed for 150,000 miles then metal has began to settle and collect in notorious areas, he changes the fluid and the fluid begans doing its job, cleaning! It picks up all that metal and carries it to other places, like through the valve body stopping up valves causing his transmission to loose pressure. Any automatic transmission person knows automatics work by pressure, not enough pressure will smoke the clutch packs and in turn cause your tranny to start slipping, might as well say by by to that torque converter to, its gonna get eat up as well.

I believe many other automatic fans will back me up on a transmission neglected and not seeing a proper oil and filter change is best left alone, do not change the fluid if you dont know the history of the trans. Now if it has lows miles by all means change it. Im not telling him not to change it. Im telling him if it has high milles and he has no idea the history, id leave it a lone.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Quick Reply: how much can i turn up my 12 valve