12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Almost HOLY GRAIL??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost HOLY GRAIL??

So i have been looking for a manual ex cab 12v Cummins for a while to buy. Found a 98 12 valve cummins. I am going to check it out this week. would go sooner but it is 4 hours away.

THE GOOD: It is ex cab and has the 4 doors, 5 speed manual, 8ft bed, tow package, 1 ton suspension the ad says. He says the frame is all solid and in great shape. The truck I think is all stock. Just used for work and it is driven daily. Will find out alot more once I get down there and check it out.

THE BAD: It has higher miles then I would like with 240,000. The two back 3rd and 4th door do not work which is not a huge deal. also both main doors have rust on the bottom and the owner said it had rust in a couple different areas but didn't say where (looks like the bottom of the front fenders). It is hard to see much from the pictures. Body looks good besides rust, just needs paint.

My main concern is the mileage. I know these truck can run a long time with proper maintenance which I will do. he is asking 6000. GOOD DEAL???

Old 12-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Meh sounds pretty rough I found my dad a 98 exteneded cab short bed 5speed 4x4 with everything but leather and it also has jake brake , mbrp exhaust, prime lock filter , and gauges 120k miles and it's white for 10k and zero zilch nada rust. And my brother has 98 2x4 dually ext cab 5peed loaded with zero rust he got from amirillo for 6k with 120 k. I think it would be smart if you looked for a nice truck somewhere away from the rust hole you live in even though it would be a shame to see another 98 12v go to rust

Old 12-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

98 Quad cab 5 speed is the holy grail, I'd be more concerned about the rust than the 240K, thats nothing on a maintained truck. If you want it offer 4k and negotiate from there.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:08 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

1993firstgennewbie, the trucks you said sound nice and with more $$$ comes a better truck for sure. And I need a 4x4. trucks not a truck without it. Also to buy a truck in an area where I do not live would cost thousands more and a lot more time.

tireman9669, I am very concerned with the rust. and quad cab and ex cab are the same thing. the only thing that does not make it a holy grail truck is because it has a 8ft bed which I like personally. He said the first 10 years the truck was in Virginia. the rust looks mainly on the door bottoms. bed looks clean and fenders look clean it is either dirt or rust in the bottom corner of them

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by tiremann9669
98 If you want it offer 4k and negotiate from there.
Thats the plan once I get down there abd check it out further!

Last edited by first-gen-tough; 12-04-2012 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-04-2012, 07:10 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mileage you will be fine maybe a turbo if anything will be needed soon just check the blowby. But rust is the worst of worst i paid 6000 for a 96 5spd 4x4 long bed with 180000 mile and was well worth the 8 month wait so dont rush into something your not sure about. And i do know it sucks waiting but get something you wont have to put more money into just throw the extra cash on a better truck. But everything is fixable.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Another thing you should check is the dash they crack like potato chips in the 98 and they are a mother F'er to find and replace

Old 12-04-2012, 10:03 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yfzrunner
Mileage you will be fine maybe a turbo if anything will be needed soon just check the blowby.
Im not too worried about the turbo. I will drive it for a while stock then upgrade the turbo etc. I have a list of upgrades.. But rust is a big factor and the back doors do not work so just an other thing to fix and think about. Also blow by is not caused from the turbo but from the engine loosing compression from the rings wearing out etc. I have no idea what kind of shape the interior is in.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

i meant turbo is just a wear item and thats all you would have to change one day cause the motor will keep going and i know blow by aint from the turbo just a run on sentence man.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yfzrunner
i meant turbo is just a wear item and thats all you would have to change one day cause the motor will keep going and i know blow by aint from the turbo just a run on sentence man.
O ya ya. made sense after I read it again. Turbo will be replaced but that is a different story. What should I ask the guy about the truck when I call him? I can tell a lot once im there. Also howmuch blow by is too much? I looked at a 97 12valve and when we took the oil cab off it was blowing white smoke out but not horrible and it had 190k on it but he sold it out from under me.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

ya i had two trucks sold out from under me . You got to get t here quick the one i bought was there within 1 hour to get it and peeps were calling while i was there. and there will always be a little blowby just set the cap on top of oil fill and should stay there not blow off. And ask him if it handles good alot of dodge have real loose front ends but can be fixed. Pretty much he just wants to sell it so he probally wont tell you all the bads but 4 hours i would make sure you want it. And oil leaks and if he ever done the kdp no biggie though.

The following users liked this post:
first-gen-tough (12-04-2012)