12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

need performance help

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need performance help

hi i bought new 95 cummins i want to know what to do and where to start, it doesnt seem to have much low end power. it doesnt build boost in 1st or 2nd gear maybe 5 psi is that normal or can i get that to come way up? he says it has like 450cc injectors witch i think are to big idk if anything has been done with the afc . i dont think so . i think all he said is that the plate was slid forward. id like to know were to start and what exactly i need to do for power id like to get alot of low end power but still good milage because i drive her on the highway every day so what should i do with the injectors . afc. fuel plate ex. gov springs valve springs? thanks for helping .

Old 09-21-2012, 09:39 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 171 Likes on 90 Posts

Are you getting any smoke?

Old 09-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Diesel Fan

I get alot of smoke until my turbo finally gets to about 15 to 20 psi in 3rd gear it won't build more than about 5 psi in 1st or 2nd im not sure what fuel work was done but bi had to have my ******* advanced by bout 12 to 15 they shop said that advanced it. It would badly run till I got that advanced it was poping thru gears till it warmend up it doesn't really feel like it bogs out in first and second it just won't build boost and there's not much power and now a whole alota smoke until 3rd

Old 09-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Diesel Bomber

I'm not familiar with the "cc" sizing of injectors, but I'm sure someone who does will chime in soon. The first thing I would do is check for boost leaks. Check all of your intercooler boots, especially the one on the passenger's side going into the intercooler, they're known for wearing through.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:51 PM
Diesel Fan

It holds good boost it doesn't drop it just doesn't wanna build until 3rd gear but when its there it holds good and she just roals coal in 3rd until about 15 or 20 psi with my goto the floor then the smoke goes away and it pick up and goes I figured it shouldn't take that much boost inoreder to makie it move

Old 09-22-2012, 07:51 AM
Diesel Bomber

It might still be worth checking for a boost leak, you could have one and still build and hold some boost. It also might be worth sliding the plate back to about the stock position and see if that helps. You could very well be overfueling down low, kind of "putting out the fire" so to speak.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:29 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 76 Likes on 73 Posts

it still has the stock charger... ?

sounds to me you either have too much fuel going through or the turbo is too big and is unable to spool in 1st and 2nd...

Old 09-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Diesel Fan

Ya stock turbo . I fig. It was over fueling .ill check for some boost leaks. But id still like some input on what to do with everything id like to take apart the AFC and do it all myself so I kno what's done to it. Any recommendations on what plate I should use what mods to do to the AFC what gov springs I should use and what injectors I should use? Should I get arp head studs ? And bigger valve springs?or any other sugustions?

Old 09-22-2012, 11:33 AM
FormerVendor
Received 107 Likes on 99 Posts

my first suggestion would be do alot of reading on how to properly adjust the afc housing and see if that dosnt fix most of your problem. also is this a stick or auto? but first of all you got to get the afc dialed in before you start changing things. what is your over all power goal? that will have to be known before we can suggest a build list of parts to obtain that goal.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:40 AM
Diesel Fan

just check all of the boots I dont see or feel any holes but they do feel very soft and old. Is it times to replace them?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Its stick and I. wouldlike to gain alot of low end pulling power (tug o war. Maybe sled and towing) I dont wanna beat the hell out of her in pulls or nothing just run it on occasion. But I also want to be able to get good fuel millage because I drive her everyday 100 miles to work and back I have done alot of reading on the AFC just still a littleconfused about it . I am a mechanic but not familer with diesel

Last edited by javelinamx1974; 09-22-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: need performance help