You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!
This modification bypasses important pollution control devices and should be used for off road applications only. Use at your own risk.
This is a DIY for the EGR Blocker plate for the LBZ model of Duramax.
If you have an LLY Johnny Cetane also did a DIY for that model of DMAX, it can be found BY CLICKING HERE
Doing this modification to your LBZ will help keep your turbo from having soot filled exhaust being routed back thru the intake. Some vehicles will get a CEL (Check Engine Light) because of this mod, and that can be fixed with the finger stick that is provided in the kit. I chose NOT to install the finger stick since it can also be blocked with PPE and EFI live programming.
This image shows the EGR Blocker and Finger stick that I used.
The tools I used for this job was a 12mm 1/4" drive socket and ratchet, a flat screw driver, and approxamately 1.5 beers
First step was to put a fan up to help me keep my cool. Then I got positioned on top of the motor, with a bunch of rags under me for cushion..
Next I reached to the back of the motor, on the passenger side, and found the two 12mm bolts, and I loosened them.. THESE BOLTS ARE VERY TIGHT... I wish I would have had room enough for a 3/8" drive ratchet, the extra leverage would have been great.
Once loosened, I carefully pryed the flange apart, minding the gasket, since I really didnt feel like tearing it all apart to replace a gasket.
Once you have enough play to get the blocker plate in, slide it ALL THE WAY down, to where its sitting on the bolts.. This should help it keep from leaking out the bottom. The gasket boes towards the BACK of the truck.. the plate needs to go in front of the gasket.. at least thats how I read the destructions..
Now I just retightened the two bolts back down.. I tried to tighten them at least as tight as they were..
Once I had everything tightened down, and the rags off of the motor, and put my tools up.. I started the truck, and while it was idleing, and still cool enough to touch, i felt around the egr blocker plate for leaks.. I guess you could even spray some soapy water on there to check.